The Goldwater Scholarship is a prestigious national scholarship program for undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. The scholarship provides up to $7,500 per academic year to cover tuition, fees, books, and room and board. To be eligible, students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, have at least a 3.0 GPA and be planning to pursue research careers in the natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering. The scholarship is open to college sophomores and juniors, and the application process typically opens in the fall.
To apply for the Goldwater Scholarship, you will need to submit the following materials:
- A completed online application form, which includes personal information, academic history, and research experience.
- A two-page essay describing your research experience and goals, including how the Goldwater Scholarship would help you achieve your objectives.
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which should be from faculty members who can speak to your research abilities and potential.
- A copy of your transcript
It is important to carefully read the eligibility requirements and application instructions before submitting your application. It is also recommended to reach out to the office of scholarship and fellowship advising on your campus for additional support in the application process.
The application deadline for the scholarship is typically in early January, so you will need to plan ahead and start preparing your application materials well in advance.
To qualify for the Goldwater Scholarship, you must:
- Be a full-time college sophomore or junior at the time of application, with plans to continue your education as a full-time student in the following academic year.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident of the United States.
- Be planning to pursue a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering, and intend to pursue research in these fields.
It is also important to note that the Goldwater Scholarship is awarded based on merit and that the selection process takes into consideration the student’s academic record, research potential, and overall commitment to a career in the natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering.
It is recommended that applicants have research experience and plan to attend graduate school in the field they applied for the scholarship. Additionally, you may want to reach out to the office of scholarship and fellowship advising on your campus, they can provide additional information and support in the application process.